Saturday, June 7, 2014

Be Brave

Merida of brave is one of my favorite character because she is not your typical princess. I just love her hair!!! :) I decided to draw this because at the office we are working on chibi cute characters and I was thinking why not create a cute chibi version of Merida! :) 

chibi merida steps gif

Tools I used for this piece
I made most of my artworks using the ff materials. You can buy most of these at Deovir. (No Deovir does not pay me to promote them, although giving a few brushes would be nice!  :) )
  • BRUSHES: 
  • 1" Langnickel Hake Brush
  • No.8 Grumbacher Golden edge Sable
  • No.1 Winsor & Newton nylon brush
  • PAINT:
  • Prang 16 colors
  • White Gouache (for the highlights)
  • PAPER:
  • Arches Watercolor Paper

initial wash and color blocking
I start off with the washes and started to loosely fill the subject. I used a lighter shade of the colors at this stage. And build it up later by adding darker shades. Most of the colors are blues and greens and a bright orange for her awesome hair! :)

building up color
After that I took a break, and stepped out. I do this to refresh and also to look at the artwork from afar in a different view, then I as myself, am I happy with it or do I need to add more color? what is missing? where does your eye lead you? etc. 

adding details
After talking to myslef for a while, next step is adding the details on the bushes, trees, Angus' shadow and Merida's dress. And it was finished! yay! :)


I enjoyed creating this Chibi project I might do another character, let me know in the comment which character you want a chibi version of. I might do it if I like the character. :)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, love this picture! Watercolor has always looked magical to me, more than other ways of drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Viki! :) And yes watercolor is a magical medium!

      Delete